Author Topic: In All My Years, I Have Never...  (Read 24281 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: In All My Years, I Have Never...
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2015, 21:51:58 PM »
This year we will fly to Dalaman for our traditional October break from Leeds Bradford. Never been there in my life. Good times on Monarch flights and 4 returns for £125 each :D

Same dates from Edinburgh were £1100 so for a four hour drive to Yorkshire I win £600 to spend. My company's head office is 13 miles from the airport so I might call a meeting for the afternoon before and that makes it business mileage  ;)

I've never paid excessive amounts for flights to Dalaman. I remember the days of Aegean and £70 return x4. I wouldn't pay it either. I am extremely flexible on departure airport and quite flexible on date - so, much as I love our October visit I wouldn't pay £265 return per person for flights to Dalaman, I'd just go somewhere else.

But I always seem to find decent prices.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2015, 21:53:37 PM »
I think we will too now Phil has retired. Before we where stuck to his holidays so could not spare any extra time.
Now we are free to travel anywhere.   So, when we got to Glasgow may have a few days there.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2015, 21:58:21 PM »
We tend to make it all part of the adventure Jacqui - choose somewhere nice to stay if it's an early flight out (and/or back), take a scenic route if time allows, we always stop somewhere nice for lunch half way down. It's not a chore driving to the airport, it's all a part of the holiday  :)

Offline poppy50

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2015, 12:17:23 PM »
Not met anybody off the forum. 
Never been to Sundial (tried once and ended up in a building site).
Never found Fethiye prison  (doesn't inspire but like to know where it is).

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2015, 12:56:39 PM »
The prison is passed the cemetery on the road up to Tasyaka and Ovacik\Hisaronu... Left hand side.. You will see an armed guard outside and a roof turret with a gun on.   Lots visitors everyday taking food supplies to their relatives as they only get bread and water supplied..It is very overcrowded..

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2015, 13:47:49 PM »
Anne, the prison ain't there any more. They have built a new one & moved all the inmates before Christmas.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2015, 18:43:43 PM »
We tend to make it all part of the adventure Jacqui - choose somewhere nice to stay if it's an early flight out (and/or back), take a scenic route if time allows, we always stop somewhere nice for lunch half way down. It's not a chore driving to the airport, it's all a part of the holiday   :)

We have decided to do the same as you do.  So probably have some time in Glasgow.   Also if we book for Manchester, will go to Liverpool, maybe see a match and then go back via the Lake District.  It would now seem something of an adventure, so looking forward to our journeys.   That is if Phil has the time to spare, now he has retired he is so busy, he does not know how he had time to go to work.

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2015, 18:50:29 PM »
Anne, the prison ain't there any more. They have built a new one & moved all the inmates before Christmas.
Prison ain't there but the building is being refurbished as a probation center.

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2015, 18:56:33 PM »
In 56 years I've never won an arguement with my wife :( :( Who am I a mere mortal to argue with a female/  ;)  ;)

Don

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2015, 19:10:11 PM »
This year we will fly to Dalaman for our traditional October break from Leeds Bradford. Never been there in my life. Good times on Monarch flights and 4 returns for £125 each :D

Leeds Bradford is a great little airport, Scunner - only thing is that it is quite high up so if there is fog or adverse weather it can cause delays and cancellations quite quickly.
The usual solution is that they fly you to Teesside or Newcastle instead and bus you back to Leeds, but hopefully you will have a smooth journey each way!   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf