Author Topic: If We Could All Vote - Would the Scotland Vote Be As Close?  (Read 8093 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: If We Could All Vote - Would the Scotland Vote Be As Close?
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2014, 15:33:48 PM »
I believe the no campaign stated (numerous times) that an independent Scotland couldn't share the pound, not that they couldn't use the pound.

(And I can't believe I'm disagreeing with Colwyn in public - not often a good idea  :D )

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2014, 16:17:57 PM »
I am struggling to find any more than a minor semantic distinction between "use" and "share" in this context. Is it that people in Scotland can use the £; people in England can use the £; but we cannot share our £s. Eh? Be assured Scunner I have no intention of sharing my £s with you. I suspect this is some kind of political obfuscation. At the outset of the campaign politicians were more certain. I am not sure this really counts as "evidence" since it comes from the Daily Mail but I happened to have it at hand. It comes from November 2013. It comes from the UK Scottish Secretary and insists Scotland will have to "quit" sterling and it will be "excluded from the currency. [It strikes me that this is about as likely as Scotland refusing to let England use/shere the term Sterling due to this being a place in Scotland].

Scotland will be forced to quit the sterling if it votes for independence next year, the Scottish secretary has warned.
Alistair Carmichael said the country could not guarantee a currency union with the UK after becoming independent. ...

Speaking about the possibility of keeping sterling, Mr Carmichael told The Financial Times: '
George Osborne has said ... it is highly unlikely.
Most people in Whitehall understand that if George Osborne says something is highly unlikely, it is not going to happen.'
And when asked if he believed an independent Scotland would be excluded from the currency, he simply replied: 'Yes'.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2511843/Scottish-secretary-Alistair-Carmichael-warns-Scotland-quit-sterling-votes-independence-year.html#ixzz3DUUKOQbc

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2014, 16:40:14 PM »
Colwyn quoting the Daily Mail :o

My understanding was/is that the difference between sharing and using is having a (part) say over it's value and circulation etc = sharing, having no influence on these things but adopting it as the national currency (like Ecuador/USD) = using.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2014, 17:25:23 PM »
Watching a debate last night with guests Michelle Mone (Lingerie maker) and Brian Cox (actor).  Brian who has been on the the campaign trail with the Yes people, was arguing with Michelle, who broke into his answer to ask him when he was going to buy a house in Scotland.  Brian lives in New York with his second wife and his two young children.  Glad, at last that someone asked one of these transatlantic celebrities this important question.

Offline marina

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2014, 17:29:31 PM »
Good for her Jacqui, but what was his answer?  ???

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2014, 19:33:33 PM »
He is trying to find one !!!!
He is far too comfy in N.Y. with his new young wife and kids to come back to Scotland.  These sort of people, and there are lots of them, all say they love Scotland, as it is the place of their birth. ( Rod Stewart the exception) However, none of these Scots who love Scotland and want to have a say in what happens, but don't have a vote, do not want to come back and live in Scotland.   They have found a nice warm cosy place to live and rattle on about what they want to happen in Scotland as they are "True" Scots.  This is a lot of nonsense.  If you want a say in what happens to Scotland in the future, you live in Scotland.  ;)

Offline Lotty

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2014, 21:43:37 PM »
Quite right too! Jacqui !  :)

Offline Eric

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2014, 21:50:03 PM »
This just shows how low this campaigning has become.  Organised rent a mob is not a strong enough description.  It is becoming more like an AK Party campaign.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2758136/Bow-imperial-master-Miliband-Labour-leader-hounded-Edinburgh-shopping-centre-Yes-protesters-pleads-civilised-debate.html

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf