Author Topic: Road tax bill out of the blue  (Read 19968 times)

Offline apollo

Road tax bill out of the blue
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2009, 22:20:36 PM »
To paraphrse Shania Twain. Thery'e gonn getcha and getcha good!

Offline janmack

« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2009, 05:56:47 AM »
I think most people are willing to pay towards inprovments.  We don't expect something for nothing.  However it would be useful to get a breakdown of the bills.  I personally don't understand why the value of your property should influence the amount you are asked to pay for road tax.  I'm not entirely convinced that everybody is expected to pay, despite Phil and Fatih being told that is the case.  I know we'll end up paying, we always do...but what is wrong with finding out first exactly what it is we are paying for.

Offline scouser2swife

« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2009, 22:59:04 PM »
I went in today to find out what we are expected to pay on our 70sq metre apartment. we were told 480TL.The man didn't mention the 25% discount for early payment. When my hubby mentioned it the clerk acted flummoxed and then said if we paid before 31st Dec it would be 360TL...Strange that we are expected to pay the same as our neighbour in the same block who has the double duplex (3 times the size of our apartment). Also strange that a friend of ours has an apartment aprox twice the size of ours and their tax was quoted at just over 200TL !!!.I also noted that the clerk DID NOT say that this was a one off payment.
I asked for a bill to take to my solicitor and the clerk ignored me....so for the time being I am going to ignore this bill, until they write to me and tell me what I am supposed to pay.
I have a feeling that this topic is going to run and run. Also I was talking to a brit who lives in rented accommodation and they said that they do not have to pay....so it appears that it is ONLY the home owners (ie Yabançi) are being targeted.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2009, 23:12:23 PM »
it appears that it is ONLY the home owners (ie Yabançi) are being targeted

Your thinking is totally ridiculous! You think only foreigners own property in Fethiye????

And the owners of properties should pay for improvements, why should renters pay for new benefits to someone else's property? That goes for any country.

Offline scouser2swife

« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2009, 23:38:01 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Your thinking is totally ridiculous! You think only foreigners own property in Fethiye????

And the owners of properties should pay for improvements, why should renters pay for new benefits to someone else's property? That goes for any country.

Where I live there are only 10 apartments that are owned by Brits. The other 32 are all rented.We live in a low income area....I doubt that the landlords of these 32 rented apartments will be charged this tax because they cannot pass it on to the renters (they will just move elsewhere).
The question arises as to the discrepancy in charges.No-one seems to know how this tax is worked out.I don't mind paying a fair share, but this tax for the roads appears to be unjust to the home owners.
As for my thinking being ridiculous Mr Scunner, You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

Offline scouser2swife

« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2009, 23:48:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

I would also point out that when you pay your (vehicle) road tax in the U.K it is for the roads. What is the vehicle tax here used for?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2009, 23:49:36 PM »
The other 32 are all rented.We live in a low income area....I doubt that the landlords of these 32 rented apartments will be charged this tax because they cannot pass it on to the renters

The hard done by landlords in this "low income area" are soooo poor they own 32 apartments between them!!! Possibly all 32 are owned by one person - he can't pay 866 lira x 32? Tough, make do with only owning 31 apartments (oh the shame of it) and flog one to pay the bill. Would you let some Cheshire Lord of the Manor off his Poll Tax because his house is so massive he can't pay?

Why should renters pay? They rent the property and will realise no benefit in it's improved value that comes with upgraded infrastructure.

Do you REALLY think there is a mechanism in place at Fethiye Belediye that divides the amount of expenditure on roads between the number of British property owners? Is it plausible in any way at all???

.I don't mind paying a fair share, but this tax for the roads appears to be unjust to the home owners.

Why is it unjust? Who do you think should be paying?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2009, 23:51:07 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by scouser2swife

I would also point out that when you pay your (vehicle) road tax in the U.K it is for the roads.

I don't think you really believe that either :D

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2009, 23:57:27 PM »
quote:
I would also point out that when you pay your (vehicle) road tax in the U.K it is for the roads.

No it's not - it's for ice rinks:(

Offline scouser2swife

« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2009, 00:07:23 AM »
Why is it unjust? Who do you think should be paying?

Everyone should pay the same amount! When we lived in the U.K. everyone in the same street, in the same size houses paid the same amount of council/ poll tax, whether it was rented or not. All I am asking is for fair play. I realise that we live in Turkey, but surely the same logic should apply. Also,in the U.K. the fees payable were printed in the local press and bills sent out so that everyone knew what they had to pay.
What I am trying to say Mr Scunner, is that bills should have been sent out to all tennants and printed in the local papers for everyone to see what they are being charged.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf