Author Topic: Info please regarding security  (Read 11379 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Info please regarding security
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2016, 16:29:28 PM »
My first email from the FCO on Turkey travel advice describes itself as an update and, as I recall, shows a slight change in wording from the original version but no substantive change to the advice. [I do wonder what the legal/political situation might be if the UK Government advised British people not to visit Turkey because of dangers but that it is quite safe for the EU to send refugees back there].

Over 2,500,000 British nationals visit Turkey every year.  It’s generally safe to travel but you should take additional safety precautions.  You should be alert to your surroundings and remain vigilant in crowded places popular with tourists.

Terrorism

The threat from terrorism remains high. Terrorist groups, including Kurdish groups, Daesh (formerly referred to as ISIL) and far left organisations, continue to plan and carry out attacks. Further attacks are likely.  Terrorist groups, including Daesh and the Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK), have publicly threatened to attack tourist sites in Turkey.  You should take extra care in public places – particularly those visited by foreigners. Be vigilant, follow the advice of local security authorities, monitor media reports and keep up to date with this travel advice.
On 12 January 2016 there was a suicide bomb attack against tourists in Sultanahmet in Istanbul in which 10 people died. On 19 March 2016 a similar attack against tourists on Istiklal St in Istanbul killed 4 people.
On 17 February 2016 a large bomb attack near a military barracks on Eskisehir Road in Ankara killed 28 people. On 13 March 2016, a similar attack killed over 30 people at Kizilay Square in central Ankara. 
Attacks are likely to target the Turkish state, civilians and demonstrations. Nevertheless, it’s increasingly likely that some attacks will also target western interests and tourism, as they did in Istanbul on 12 January and 19 March 2016. To date most attacks in Turkey have taken place in the south and east of the country and in Ankara and Istanbul.
Turkish authorities have successfully disrupted attack planning in the recent past.  The Turkish authorities have said that security has been tightened in response to recent attacks.  Nevertheless, further attacks are likely, could be indiscriminate and may target or affect places visited by foreigners.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2016, 18:08:00 PM »

There is an article in todays Hurriet Daily News regarding the PKK and 8 other terror groups forming an umbrella group

calling itself the HBDH, led by the PKK, and they are going to start a propaganda war, organise acts of terror, and 

" target foreign nationals across Turkey in order to attract the attention of the International Media."

I cant get a link up, perhaps someone else can.   They have chosen Duran Kalkan as their leader.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2016, 18:41:27 PM »

Cheers Keith.              So little regard for the life of human beings.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2016, 18:53:43 PM »
One of the big problems with running a website like this is that while we do have strong connections with people of influence locally in Fethiye - and the people close to them, it is impossible to know what to do with the information we hear.

If we pass it on we are scaremongering, kicking tourism when it is down, negative...

If we keep it to ourselves and something awful does happen (God forbid) we would be irresponsible, hiding bad news, putting the resort before people's safety...

If anyone can sort that one out please share their thoughts, as 13 years into the job I have no idea what we are expected to do.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2016, 19:07:53 PM »
I think all you can continue to do is to be honest. People need to be aware, forearmed is forewarned and all that.
I'm addicted to Twitter now, I don't post, but search keywords every day and see what's going on.

I'm particularly glued to anything to do with Preet Brahara and the Zarrab case at the moment.
I think that case could be the key to the future of certain people.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2016, 20:40:54 PM »

Keith

I think kayakebab is spot on.        I think you must have some tough calls sometimes. I wouldn't want it.

kayakebab

I agree with your first and last sentences totally. Woody asked a question out of security uncertainty.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2016, 20:59:48 PM »
One of the big problems with running a website like this is that while we do have strong connections with people of influence locally in Fethiye - and the people close to them, it is impossible to know what to do with the information we hear.

If we pass it on we are scaremongering, kicking tourism when it is down, negative...

If we keep it to ourselves and something awful does happen (God forbid) we would be irresponsible, hiding bad news, putting the resort before people's safety...

If anyone can sort that one out please share their thoughts, as 13 years into the job I have no idea what we are expected to do.

It's fairly simple in my view.  We continue to report/post what we know in a fair and truthful manner -  a concept completely alien to the current Turkish government (sorry, couldn't resist that one).

Honesty can only be construed as being negative by those who have something to hide.  (© JohnF 2016)

JF

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2016, 12:53:15 PM »
I've been a member for only two years but I was reading the posts for a long time before that (I'm not much of a "joiner" really) and have always found it to be a wholly fair and honest account of what's happening.

Of course, people's opinions are theirs to post and argue about but matters of actual fact have been handled in as professional a manner as possible.

I have never considered the editing to promote scaremongering; neither has it presented a one - eyed view of things.

It's been an exemplary and independent administration of an excellent forum of which you should be most proud.

Long may it stay this way.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2016, 13:21:18 PM »
Hear-hear, well said Stuart T.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf