Author Topic: Towing a boat to Turkey  (Read 1552 times)

Offline tintin

Towing a boat to Turkey
« on: June 30, 2005, 19:00:11 PM »
Can't see anything on this subject on the forum, so here goes has anyone driven over to Turkey and instead of towing a trailer towed a boat over instead.  I don't know how practical this would be but it's something we're thinking of doing when we come for good next year.
We are looking at a speed boat approx. 18foot long going for around £1500, has anyone any ideas as to how this relates to buying something there.  
Would appreciate any feedback, just toying with the idea at the moment as we've still got a year to go, but how lovely it would be to have you're own boat for pottering around the bays.
Tina

Offline mikeh

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 19:13:09 PM »
not sure you can do it -I think I read that boats in turkey have to be licenced and you cant get a licence unless you are a resident.bit like taking a car in you can't really do that either.

Offline gt

Towing a boat to Turkey
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 21:08:54 PM »
hi tintin
         try an email to sinbad.he has his own boat i think?
graham

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Towing a boat to Turkey
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 06:05:29 AM »
i think towing a boat in on  a trailor you would be treated as a tourist and like your car it would be put on your passport and you would have to take it out of the country for at least 6 months after 6 months.....if the boat was properly registered in the uk with the relavent paperwork and you sailed into turkey with it you could keep it here for 5 years before having to sail out again. you are better of buying hear, boats that you are looking for are about half uk price when buying new, my wife has the boat agency for an izmir company in fethiye with the kind of thing you are looking for email me if you want futher info.

Offline tintin

Towing a boat to Turkey
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 15:54:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies, maybe it isn't the thing to do afterall could be wiser to buy when we get there, and graham I will e-mail sinbad and pick his brains.
Tina

Offline mary anne

Towing a boat to Turkey
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 09:42:47 AM »
Hi Tin Tin
We have spoken often of sailing our boat over from the UK and mooring at Fethiye or Gocek, however and I know we are not talking about a motor cruiser, it makes more economic sense to sell it in the UK and buy in Turkey that way you do not pay VAT if buying new and the prices of second hand boats reflect this. Some day our dream is to live on our boat in summer and stay in our apartment for part of the winter(in Turkey of course).Good Luck with the boat which ever way you decide to do it. Mary

Offline Sinbad

Towing a boat to Turkey
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 07:34:47 AM »
Mary Anne

You will find the berthing costs at Fethiye good compared to the UK. We used to have a drying out berth on the Hamble for a little 24 footer that was costing over £2500 a year. We now pay much less in Fethiye for a much larger boat.
The sailing is good in Turkey and it is a pleasure not to have to duck out of the way of the ferries, power boats, tankers and all the other yachts out on the Solent!

Offline kanga

Towing a boat to Turkey
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 00:11:14 AM »
its cheaper to buy in turkey ,than to transport ,buy in the winter for best results
kanga

Offline mary anne

Towing a boat to Turkey
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 19:11:23 PM »
Sinbad - Do you live on your boat ?. We sailed from Gocek last year bare boat, and really loved it , hence the apartment in Tasyika. We have friends who live aboard in Gocek Adrian and Jackie you may know of them and big George who has a 45 CC.Benettau.And you are so right we were quoted around £1500 as opposed to almost£4K in the west coast of scotland. Some day ... Keep us in mind if you are ever looking for crew.

Offline Sinbad

Towing a boat to Turkey
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 08:07:01 AM »
Hi MAry Anne - we don't live on the boat - well unless there are people staying at the house or we want a night in the town! There are a few who live on boats in the area. JohnO plays at the Address Bar lives on his boat further down in the bay.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf