Author Topic: How about a Meze???  (Read 1464 times)

Offline simon7685

How about a Meze???
« on: September 11, 2009, 11:27:24 AM »
I have tried to search for the answers to this but can't find anything, so it is another question for all you regular visitors and residents of Calis:D

Can you get a Meze in Calis[?]

If so where is the best place to get one and what would you expect to pay for it[?]

Do they contain a lot of fish dishes[?] (I am allergic to fish:-\)

We have enjoyed some fabulous Meze's before but they were in Cyprus and Crete, so essentially Greek/Greek Cypriot but I am hoping there may be a Turkish Meze to enjoy:D

Offline sunnyd

How about a Meze???
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 11:31:10 AM »
Þat restaurant does Meze... try Sardunya opposite Scarletts as they may do meze too

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
How about a Meze???
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 12:10:51 PM »
Sardunya does great Meze you can get a selection plate which is really big and has lots of different Meze for 9TL (my recommendation) or single Meze for 3TL.   Any Meze we have eaten in Turkey does not contain fish.   We also had good Meze at the Kale Park.   There are a few restaurants on the Prom that do Meze too just look at the menus outside.  They are usually around 3-4TL for each one.  

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
How about a Meze???
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 12:55:57 PM »
Definitely agree with Jacqui - the 9YTL selection at Sardunya is a great way to try a range of Mezes. You'll also get garlic bread free I think. This is real Turkish mezes, I hope you like your greens :D especially green beans, okra etc.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
How about a Meze???
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 13:34:15 PM »
Simon

The Turkish meze is not the same as the village meze I have eaten in Cyprus. Those were structured as 24 dishes served in 4 dish combinations over 6 course. And each course was larger than the one before until the final course was more-or-less four main meals. When I was there several times 7 to 10 years ago all of this cost £6 per person. I don't know how they did it.

Turkish meze is more like Spanish tapas (if you know those). A number of small dishes that come either hot or cold - mostly cold I find. Turks recommend that you drink raki with them and take your time over it all.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
How about a Meze???
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 13:47:54 PM »
I am glad you answered that Colwyn.
Having tried both Turkish and Cypriot I was going to reply then I wondered if I had it right.
Totally different Simon but equally enjoyable.  If you have a barbecue the meze is normally the starter.

Offline Firo

How about a Meze???
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 13:56:22 PM »
Don't know about Calis but the best mezes we have found are at the Mozaic Bache in Fethiye...ummm
For directions do a search using their name.
Fi

Offline dycedon

How about a Meze???
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 14:33:46 PM »
Must agree with Firo on this one, we had it one lunch time.

Offline simon7685

How about a Meze???
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 23:32:27 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys:D

Thinking about the Cypriot Meze has really got me remembering how truly scrumptious they are:D and yes the last one I had was the 24 course, I felt like a stuffed pig after eating it :o but you just can't help yourself:D.

I am glad the Turkish Meze isn't the same, that way you don't have to choose which is best but I/we will definately give it a go:P

We love Tapas as well, so that is something to look forward to and yes we love our greens:D

....what's up Doc ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf